Monday 31 October 2011

Trick-or-Treat

Halloween is one of my favourite holidays of all time, but alas, no trick or treating on the agenda for tonight. Instead, I am dressed as Donnie Darko, watching Donnie Darko, and waiting for the trick or treaters. My dog, Milo, has been humiliated as he is every Halloween, and this year he is sporting a 'bitching' (excuse the slight pun) spider costume.



Donna Darko.


Spiderman.

So I know this is my Halloween post, but there is something that I need to blog about as I have bored my parents and friends with talk of what is on my mind beyond belief.
I need to talk about Kevin.
Last week my father and I went to see the recently released film adaptation of the book 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. Tilda Swinton plays the mother, Eva Khatchadourian, whose 15 year old son goes on a high-school killing spree. It is a very artistically executed film and the cinematography was phenomenal. The acting was incredible, which leads me to the subject of my other latest obsession. His name is Ezra Miller. When I saw Donnie Darko, I thought that was love, but no, that was just a mild flirtation. Ezra is, of course, exquisite. He has such a grace, which is perfect for the role of Kevin. His stare is so sinister and captivating that it felt wrong to be so enticed by this murderous character, yet it also felt like that was the point. After seeing the film, I left the cinema speechless. Suddenly, I felt the urgent need to cry. No words could express how I felt, and I still struggle to articulate my exact response. As soon as I got home, I started to read the book, then finishing in a mere 3 days. That may not be little, but for me a book has to be outstanding for me to finish in a week, so maybe that tells you just how engrossed I am in the story. Only 2 days after seeing the film with my father I went again with my friend, Izzy, and yet again, I was stunned into silence and that same desire to cry. Since then, I have not been able to stop thinking about it. If it isn't obvious, this speech is my way of pleading for you to read the book and see the film.








e x

No comments:

Post a Comment